Monday, March 8, 2010

I'm In The Best Area In The World!

Hey there! 

So you're right, I was transferred again.  I had a lot of mixed feelings about this transfer and was kind of surprised about what happened.  As you know, we just barely started having a lot of success in my last area.  Things were really picking up there and we were really blessed.

(Picture Taken Transfer Morning)

Well Monday night the Assistants called and said "Sister Andersen the older, we have a transfer for you to Anthony."  I was sad because she would be leaving, but happy to be staying and then they said "can we speak to Sister Anderson the younger?"  I was thinking that they would be telling me about my new companion.  Nope.  They said, "We have a transfer for you as well, you'll be going to St. David, AZ with Sister Mackay" (Ashley's friend).  So that was about all of the info that we got. 

Wednesday we rode a van over here and found out that we were reopening an area that got shut down probably 6 months ago because the work wasn't progressing.  The members weren't involved and the missionaries weren't the most obedient so it got shut down.  Well, they put us back in!  We're the first sister missionaries here in over 10 years and it is AMAZING!  We have 3 English wards that we cover here.  Our area is St. David and... Tombstone!  On a side note we went to Tombstone on Saturday and it is one of the oddest places I've ever been to in my life but I sure love it.  Anyway, I don't know if they've ever had Spanish missionaries here.  We talked to President on Friday and he said that he's asked every ward to make a list of every person that speaks Spanish in the area.  Some people think it's racial profiling but they've never had a chance to really learn about the Gospel.  We're teaching everyone though.  He also mentioned that one of the issues is that there are tons of border patrol people in this town and they're worried that it will cause a conflict if we bring Mexicans.  But President told the leaders of this area and us that everyone just needs to have an increase in faith.  Amen! 

(Hermana Anderson and companion singing and dancing in rain when Melissa realized she really did know Spanish!)

So this is a super small town that founded by one of the men who carried the pioneers across the Sweet Water River and also by the Mormon Battalion.  There is a ton of Church history here.  60-70% of the people here are members of the Church.  They have zero stop lights in town and one school K-12.  I guess on Wednesday kids were making announcements at school that we were coming.  They announced it in church on Sunday so everyone knew.  Oh man, it is crazy because we are like celebrities.  Every where we go people stop us and tell us how thankful they are for us and that we are answers to the prayers of the saints here. 

When we pulled up to where we're living, one of the Bishops was outside waiting for us.  Yesterday in church member after member got up and bore their testimonies and committed over the pulpit to give us referrals.  In 4 days we received 23 member referrals.  That's more than I have gotten my whole mission up to this point.  One man who was a former mission president got up and bore his testimony about how members are critical.  People call us and ask us to come to their homes to teach their friends.  We've heard so many prayers where people asked that they would be worthy to have missionaries in their town again.  I think that it's the other way around, we need to be worthy to have this area. 

Sister Mackay and I are trying to be the most obedient, hard working missionaries in the Church to be worthy of all of this.  The Lord has truly blessed us and this area.  I don't know why we were so lucky to be here but we are blessed more than I could ever ever imagine.  This is all like a dream.  It's true that when one door closes another one opens.  I just can't get over all of this. 

Oh, I forgot to mention that we had 2 baptisms on Saturday as well.  Can you believe this?  I can't!  Anyway, as you can see I'm so excited!  I'm in the best area in the world!  I have the best companion ever!  Sister Mackay loves to work hard, just like me!  We have really high goals set for this transfer and with the help of the Lord we will be able to achieve them.  We are blessed so much and I'm so thankful.  This is just amazing.  It really is a dream. 

(Melissa made her own Strawberry Pie for Valentines.)


Oh, I forgot to tell you... most of the Elders in our zone have never served with sisters and it is so funny.  oh man, I just love it here! 

Thank you for all of your prayers!  Please pray for us to find the Latinos, for the faith of the members here, and for us to help families become united and ultimately be sealed in the temple!  We are focusing on Latinos and families here and I know that as we continue to work hard and work with the members we will see miracles!  Have a fantastic week!  The Church is definitely true!  Stay true to the Lord!

Love, Hermana Anderson

1 comment:

scottandangelle@gmail.com said...

wow! What a great letter! I was wiping away tears...
Thanks for working so hard and loving your mission, Sister A!


How Can Something So Right Be So Hard?